Sunday, April 29, 2012

Roti Jala

So.

Itchy-backside me recently decided that it was about time for another scrumptious meal and set my heart and mind out to make a batch of Roti Jala for our (mainly mine!) gastronomical pleasure.


I had actually featured this dish in my blog post quite a while back, raving how on how good they can be.  

It has also been quite sometime since I made these yellow-netted Asian styled pancakes fit to be devoured with either beef or chicken curry

This is my comfort food. I forgot how good they can be.

Here's the ingredients required to make Roti Jala:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup fresh low fat milk*
  • 1 cup evaporated milk*
  • 1-2 tspn tumeric powder
  • Salt to taste
  • 2-3 drops of olive oil
  • 1-2 cups of water to thin the batter (if necessary)
[* Note: There are recipe variations which use coconut milk. I prefer mine with just normal milk and combined with evaporated milk]

Method:
  • Sift all purpose flour
  • In a bowl, crack the eggs, add in the milk and a few drops of olive oil
  • Slowly add in the flour and mix them well
  • If too lumpy, strain them and mix them well until you get a thin batter like crepe like consistency - add water if necessary to thin it
  • Heat up a flat plan and grease it with some oil
  • Put some batter into the Roti Jala mould and move the cup in a circular motion onto the pan to get the lace-like pattern.
  •  Once it's cooked, you can fold it into a rectangular or triangular shape. 
  • Serve it with curry and voila!You have got yourself a meal.



No comments: