Friday, April 13, 2012

Ayam Lemak Cili Padi

One of my all-time most favourite dish is the "Ayam Lemak Cili Padi" or loosely translated as Chicken in Coconut Gravy with Birds' Eye Chili". The spiciness is addictive.

It is of no surprise that  my love for this dish goes way back to my childhood; and the best Lemak Cili Padi Dish I ever had is none other than the one made by my own mother. Be it with chicken or with fish, they can be oh-so-mouth-watering. The dish will leave you craving for more even though you would be smokin' away from its spiciness!

I have been cooking this dish every once in a while over the years, and I only realised that I have yet to post the recipe on my blog.

It is a simple and unassuming dish - and I always top it with a dash of kicap manis (sweet black sauce) after scooping it on my rice.


Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • Chicken or Fish
  • 1 and half cup low fat milk
  • 180 ml coconut milk (or santan)
  • 1 inch galangal, bruised
  • 2 lemon grass, bruised
  • 2 tbsp coriander powder
  • 1-2 tbsp canola oil
  • Fresh tumeric leaves
  • Kaffir lime leave (optional)

[To be blended]
  • 20 pieces bird's eye chilli  or cili padi (both red & green)
  • 20 red shallots
  • 1 red onion
  • 2 garlic
  • 1 inch fresh tumeric root
  • 1 inch ginger

Method:
  1. Blend birds eye chilli, shallots, onion, garlic, tumeric root and ginger in the blender. Set aside
  2. Heat up oil, when hot enough,add in the blended ingredients and stir fry till fragrant
  3. Throw in the lemon grass, galangal and stir them together
  4. Add in chicken or fish into the mixture for about 20 minutes or till cooked
  5. Add in the coconut milk. If the gravy seems too thick, just add water
  6. Reduce the heat of the fire, let it simmer to boil until the chicken or fish is cooked
  7. Lastly, add in the tumeric and kaffir lime leaves
  8. Serve dish over rice

2 comments:

Silver Bullet said...

You forgot to first coat the chicken in tumeric powder and fry :p.

The Sleeping Dragon said...

Technically, that is optional for this dish, so not entirely necessary.

If I'm not too lazy, I will do that for a little bit of variation which I did not mention in this recipe. :)