Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bergedil mush

It could easily be more than a year ago since I last made some bergedils. So long ago that I cannot even remember when!

I still remember the taste though. And if done well, bergedils can be quite addictive, too.

So, anyhow, I started thinking about bergedils again in the last few days, and decided to make them. This time, I did it over 2 evenings after work instead of all at one go as I used to do because of time constraints:
  • First evening: steam the tater, mash them up, and prep up the beef, onions etc. Set aside in the fridge
  • Second evening: I actually forgot about them for one night and only mixed them together and roll them up into flat balls the day after. I then set them aside again, freezing some , intending to only fry the rest for only when they needed to be served.
As it turned out, my first batch of deep fried bergedils became a complete mush; saved for just one decent looking and unbroken ball of bergedil. The rest looked so pathetic, and I guess I am out of practice!


Needless to say, I am quite disappointed at how it turned out. I’m not sure what went wrong, but my guess is that I probably should not have steam the taters, and actually, steaming them when making bergedil is something I have not done before. I did it this time out of sheer laziness and wanting to save time.

Oh well. I guess I just have to try making them again.

I have to say that they all looked quite appalling but at least, according to Silver Bullet, they certainly are good enough to be eaten. As he put it, “There is always something about beef, taters, eggs and deep fried, and they usually taste good”.

I am glad he enjoyed the mush, leaving me with the one lone almost perfect bergedil as he ate the pile of moosh around that 1 piece of unbroken bergedil at the end of the meal.

Ahhh….my husband, the sweetheart. He has so much faith in me.

(I'm still annoyed at myself for how it turned out! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....)

2 comments:

Vicky said...

I was just thinking of bergedils the other day! :o

The Sleeping Dragon said...

and you will not want this mooshy ones, trust me!