Monday, February 25, 2013

Thought pieces

Looking through the sidebar of my blog archive, I realised that I now have been blogging for more than 4 years since I started back in 2008. Who would have thought that I had lasted this long, averaging one post every other day. I would have thought that I would have run out of things to say soon enough, or I just can’t keep up with it; but there are always (inane) things that I would want to capture or write about just because I love writing about it.

Even though I have kept this blog for a while now, the traffic to my site is actually extremely pathetic. I 've got only 15 loyal readers or so to boast about. The odd stumbles are far and between, mainly because I am extremely cautious of making this blog a public site. I err on the site of caution, preferring to minimize linking my site to other bloggers or articles as I would prefer to keep my blog a little more personal, a little bit more private.

On the other hand, I am torn – while I don’t like the idea of having ads on my blog (clutter and just plain ugly), wouldn’t it also be nice to earn my living though blogging, given that I have been an active blogger for years now? But to do that, it would mean that I have to give up my privacy as I would have to have hundreds of thousands of people reading my blog.

Yikes. That is just way, way, too many people. But then again, apart from the 15 of you out there, who else would be nosey enough to want to read my inane rambles that mean absolutely jack-all?

And privacy issues…

Well…tough!

It’s been more than four years and I still have the same, boring layout. I hardly have anything to show for as a “successful blogger”, and my reader base is too small to command for any collaboration.  I did toy with the idea of changing the layout every once in a while but, I am also hard-pressed for time to experiment anything. Besides, I do quite like the black background.

This blog has become such a big part of me that if one day if Google ever decides to wipe out all of my posts, I would be extremely devastated. Making money out of it would be nice, but perhaps, I will never be ready for that at the expense of thesleepingdragoninbkk dot blogspot dot com  becoming public.

That being said, this thought piece has at the same time spurred me to start thinking of a little mini project for myself , in which I could indulge in a (very under-stated) passion of mine.

I don’t know if I’ll get a “lift-off” in this “maybe-baby”, but we’ll see! I’ll just have to get my act together first.

No comments: