Monday, October 29, 2012

Dr. Seuss: Lessons in Life

So.

Dr. Seuss imparted the 5 lessons in life and they are:

#1. Today you are You. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

#2. Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

#3. You have brains in your head. You have feet in in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose

#4. Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

#5. Today I shall behave, as if this the day I will be remembered



I remember Dr. Seuss' books in my childhood, and to me his books are quite bizarre.  Bizarre in a very good way. I may not have understood it all as a kid, but as I grew older (much older!), and now with kids on my own, I appreciate his talents more than ever.  The funny words he came out with in his books are just out of this world. Most times, they just don't make any sense. The words are all just made up, and the funny thing is, somehow, when you look at it as a whole and with a little bit of imagination, it does makes sense. Like the word, "Youer" than you...how epic is that! 

I found the above to be very lifting. It speaks to me. I have actually printed a copy and have it pasted up on my dashboard in the office; just to remind myself that no matter what an oddball I am to how others perceive me, I do not have to bow down to conformity. 

I have the license to be the oddball me.


No comments: