Wednesday, July 18, 2012

On the ball

When a few random people once told me that a gym ball can be used to soothe a really fussy baby a couple of years ago, I thought that sounded awfully weird.  It went right over my head as I (silently) went, “Yeah. Right.”

In my mind, I was certain they were just doing a sales pitch and was trying to impose their holistic nonsense bullshit on me –I was, after all, in some yoga class when that conversation happened. I really thought they had gone over the cuckoo’s nest! 

I mean, what do you do with a gym ball? Or a birthing ball, or an exercise ball, a balance ball, or whatever it is that is being called, except using it as a prop when you exercise?  You know that big, round of a ball which is about 10x the size of your head and you can use it to bounce your butt around?  Yeah, this:
Source: Google Image
Turned out I was probably the weird, closed-minded one and those people knew what they were talking about. (Duh! I know…I know….)

Why am I even blogging about this? Apart from the fact that I have put myself in shame by exposing my ignorance about the uses of the ball, I also discovered the magic of the ball last week in my “Mommy and Me” Yoga class session with Spud.  

Ahh! Now it is making sense, right!

I have always enjoyed the “Mommy and Me” Yoga sessions for moms with new babies (min. 1 month till about crawling stage).  I figured, since I did a number of sessionswith Spud when I was on maternity leave, I thought going with Squirt now would be a good way to spend one-on-one time with him before I go back to work; which was what exactly I did last week.

Except that due to his reflux, that poor boy could not stop crying and was inconsolable. Nothing I tried worked, and looking at how helpless I was, the instructor offered to get me a gym ball. While I went “what”, “why” and almost rolling my eyeballs IN MY HEAD when I heard that, I accepted the offer graciously.

When she came back with the ball and suggested that I bounce on the ball while cradling Squirt, I did wonder if it will work. I even felt certain that it was a futile effort, and somewhat ridiculous. But I was too focused on trying to calm Squirt down, and at that time, I was game to try ANYTHING.

What do you know – the moment I sat on it and started bouncing up and down like a clown, Squirt calmed down immediately. I kid you not. He stopped crying in an instant!  I even tried it several times during that session for every single time he got inconsolably fussy.  I was so amazed that I immediately bought us a 65 cm ball home.

I am now endorsing that it indeed is a fabulous tool for soothing a fussy Squirt. Each time he gets into one of his crying fits, I get on the ball. And it worked every damn time; even putting Silver Bullet in amazement at how Squirt just shuts up!

I don’t know why that is, but it works brilliantly and I.AM.SOLD.

It is so effective that even Silver Bullet and our Nanny have both started to use it to bounce and rock him gently whenever he has one of those manic crying bouts. 

This has gotta be one of the weirdest, but the best 640 baht I have spent in a long, long while.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Yay! Good to hear you found something that helps Squirt less fussy. I've never tried the ball, but I tried to put Mathieu to sleep in a hammock (that is what they called them in Oz.) It really is the old-fashioned bouncy sarong thing I used to sleep in : http://www.babyhammocks.com/

Anyway it only worked for a couple of sleeps...unfortunately for us. Luckily, I only hired it!

Helen said...

That picture of you and Squirt is gorgeous! I find out about the fitball in that class too and bought one immediately! Maija is still using it (with my help) to bounce and roll around.

The Sleeping Dragon said...

@Rachel: !the hammock is indeed the modern version of the sarong! It probably is over priced! haa haa I remember those sarongs hanging from the ceiling - and I'm sure my mom used that with me too!

The Sleeping Dragon said...

@Helen:you have one too!!Spud loves playing with it as well when I roll her around with it.She was initially quite scared of it. And, you are too kind with your compliment Helen! It belies the fact that I was feeling like a wreck at that time. :)