Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tanzania Day 4: The Northern Circuit

The beginning of more exciting days to come starting at the northern circuit (Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti), offering the most productive and prime game viewing in Tanzania.This also marked the day of having only packed lunch boxes for the next 7 days. This was our last meal by Chef Heaven.

The day started with a drive to Lake Manyara National Park. Its location at the base of the east African rift valley along the Gregory rift, offers spectacular viewing of the escarpment. The ground water forest is fed by springs located in the porous lava rock on the rift valley. This is where we had our first game drive...it could only get better thereafter!

Plenty of baboons, giraffes, hippos, zebras as well as all sorts of birds. We were looking out for the Blue Monkeys, but they were quite hard to spot. We saw many monkeys with blue balls, though! I kid you not! The males have got balls in luminous blue! They are actually known as the Black-Faced Velvet Monkeys, but I’d rather call them the Blue-Balls Monkeys for obvious reasons.

I got sucked in watching and staring at the animals all the time, I forgot to continue taking pictures! When I did remember, most are either too far to capture and with limited zoom on my camera, I pretty much gave up trying. I’m glad Silver Bullet bought his new lenses or these creatures would be impossible to capture on camera. He has taken over 2000 pictures which he first needs to sort out before I can post them.

We pretty much spent the rest of the day in the park and headed back to Lake Manyara Hotel in the early evening for R&R.


Scenic view onward bound to Lake Manyara




Within Lake Manyara...looking for animals hidden within these foliage
Here are the "Blue-balls" Monkey! Told you I wasn't kidding. Nature has a sense of humour, indeed.

Lake Manyara Lodge, coolest mossy-net I ever seen and the hotel surroundings

No comments: