Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Solve global warming?

As I walked into my office this morning, I caught sight of a box and had to literally do a double-take just to be sure that I had not made any mistake while trying to read the prints in 5 seconds as I sauntered past it:


I thought "solve global warming" was a very bold and ambitious statement to make. Ironic, even. Talk about making a sweeping statement.

Global warming is a big problem. No. Make that huge fucking problem. Just 5 days ago, the news reported that the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere have been recorded at their highest level in human history. (Article from BBC here) Scientists are saying that we now have reach to the point of no return…which means that using Double A paper ain’t going to SOLVE global warming.

Like I said, it seemed like a sweeping statement. But I am also aware that it may have been done with the best of intention…which, in this case, a little bit misplaced with the choice of word used.

I am not sure if global warming can ever be solved in my opinion, but we certainly can minimize the impact and decelerate the rate of global warming by first stop using paper altogether to reduce our carbon footprint.

No comments: